Thursday 21 July 2011

coming out of the broom closet or not

When I first started on my spiritual path, I was pretty lucky. My family and friends and even my work mates accepted my choice with non- challance. Ok, I did get a bit of a light hearted teasing from my work mates but that was pretty much it. Moving to Ireland from the states was a bit of a culture shock. Add that to the fact that I moved to a very small town and I had to not only close myself into the broom closet but firmly bolt the doors and set the alarm figuratively speaking of course. For me, it wasn't the lack of pride in my spiritual path that made me hide that part of myself  it was more for survival. Anybody who lives in a small town would know what I'm talking about. This choice was confirmed as the right choice a few years ago when I tried to sign my child up for girl scouts. Now in the states, girl scouts are for  all denominations, so I thought nothing about  letting her sit in on a meeting run by the protestant church. Evidently, some people, thought it their business to tell my family that this was not a good idea. Which brings me back to  my original thought, If people are going to react to my child being part of a different  Christian  organisation then how would they feel about learning that her mother is a witch. It really makes me sad that in this day and age, people are not more tolerant of those different from them. If you plan on "outing yourself"  to those around you it might be best to see how this would be perceived by them maybe by bringing up the subject of a "friend's your friend " who's a witch and see what they say. As for me, aside from my husband's family, I plan on staying in that nice cosy closet but perhaps leave the door open a crack to see how it all plays out
                                                                                 Brightest blessings, B

No comments: